We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Egg White and Pesto Omelette
Looking for a quick, easy and healthy lunch idea? Look no further, Egg White Pesto Omelette is what you’re looking for. Made with egg whites, basil pesto shredded mozzarella cheese, grated Parmesan and topped with warmed spaghetti sauce. Serve this delicious omelette with fresh fruit for a super and light lunch or dinner meal option.
What is an Omelette?
Omelet; Omelette [AHM-leht] A mixture of eggs, seasonings and sometimes water or milk, cooked in butter until firm and filled or topped with various fillings such as cheese, ham, mushrooms, onions, peppers, sausages and herbs. Sweet omelets can be filled with jelly, custard or fruit and then sprinkled with powdered sugar or flamed with various Liquors or Liqueurs. For fluffy omelets, the whites and yolks can be beaten separately and folded together. They can also be served flat or folded.
An omelet pan has shallow sloping sides, a flat bottom and a long handle. It’s designed for easy movement, turning and removal of the finished omelet. Omelet pans range from 6 to 10 inches in diameter and can be made of aluminum, plain or enameled cast iron or stainless steel.
- 1 teaspoon
butter or olive oil
- 4 large
- 1/4 teaspoon each
salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup pesto
- 1/2 cup
shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons
- 1/2 cup
spaghetti sauce of your choice, optional
- Heat butter or olive oil in a small non-stick skillet over medium low heat.
- Whisk together egg whites, salt, pepper and pesto, whisking in a lot of air.
- Pour whisked egg mixture into the heated skillet. Shake skillet back and forth over heat for less than one minute. Run a spatula around the outside of the skillet, tilting skillet to allow excess egg whites to flow into the open space. Sprinkle the cheese over one half of the egg whites. With spatula, flip the other half over cheese Cook until cheese is melted.
- Pour spaghetti sauce into a small glass container, microwave for a few seconds to warm sauce.
- Slide omelette onto a serving plate. Spoon a small amount of warm sauce over omelette.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Note: Omelette will take on a light green hue from the pesto.