We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Kitchen Tip How to Strain Yogurt
Kitchen Tip How to Strain Yogurt. Straining yogurt or ricotta cheese is not only fast and easy to do, the”after”results are well worth it. Why? The reason for straining both is a simple one: when you strain the liquid or whey from yogurt/ricotta, you reduce the liquid, therefore minimizing the amount of liquid in a recipe. Strained yogurt/ricotta adds a creamier and richer texture to recipes. Another bonus for straining yogurt/ricotta, it’s thick, creamy and delicious.
This same method also works great for ricotta cheese. You can use the strained yogurt or ricotta cheese right away or rinse out the original container the yogurt/ricotta came in, label it “strained” and put the strained yogurt/ricotta back in the container. Store in the refrigerator. It will stay good until the freshness date stamped on the container.
How to Use
Use strained yogurt/ricotta cheese in baked goods, pancakes, dips, smoothies, sauces, ice cream/frozen yogurt and in any recipe that calls for sour cream. In fact, strained yogurt/ricotta cheese can used in anything you normally would plus so much more. Commercial brands of yogurt/ricotta cheese contain a fair amount of liquid. Straining yogurt/ricotta leaves behind a thick and creamy yogurt or ricotta cheese.
Fast and Easy
I’ve been straining yogurt/ricotta for well over a year now. I strain my yogurt/ricotta as soon as I bring it home from the grocery store. Once you get into the habit of straining yogurt/ricotta right away, it will become a regular part of your grocery shopping routine. While you’re putting the grocery’s away get out some cheesecloth, wire mesh and a bowl so everything ready or get things ready before you get home from the store.
Line the wire mesh strainer with cheesecloth, dump in the yogurt/ricotta, twist the top of the cheesecloth tightly down around the yogurt/ricotta, secure the cheesecloth with a plastic twist tab, rinse out the container the yogurt/ricotta came in, save the container and set it aside. Put the bowl into the refrigerator and continue putting the grocery’s away. How easy is that!
How to Strain Yogurt or Ricotta Cheese
- 1-16 oz container plain regular yogurt, Greek yogurt or ricotta cheese
- Large glass bowl
- Wire mesh strainer
- Place wire mesh strainer over large glass bowl.
- Place double thickness of cheesecloth over wire mesh strainer.
- Carefully dump yogurt into cheesecloth.
- Bring corners of cheesecloth together and twist.
- Secure with a twist tie if necessary.
- Place bowl with wire mesh and yogurt in refrigerator.
- Allow liquid to drain out overnight or 8 hours.
- This will remove all of the liquid.
- Empty liquid in bowl if needed.
- Yogurt should have consistency like sour cream.
- Untwist the top of the cheesecloth or untwist the twist tie
- Scoop out yogurt with a spoon or flip the strained yogurt over into an empty bowl, let the strained yogurt fall out. Peel off cheesecloth.
Make these delicious pancakes with your new strained yogurt. Apple Yogurt Pancakes