We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Spinach Sharp Cheddar Cheese Quiche
- 1 tablespoon
- 1/2 cup
thinly sliced shallots
- 1 clove
- 1 (10 oz) package frozen
chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 1/2 cups
grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 (9-inch)
deep dish frozen pie shell
- 4 large
eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups
evaporated milk, milk or cream
- 1/2 teaspoon
- 1/8 teaspoon
- pinch of
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove pie shell from freezer, thaw and prick bottom and up sides of shell with a fork.
- Bake on center rack until golden brown about 10 minutes. Remove from oven. Set aside.
- Turn oven down to 325 degrees.
- Heat butter in a small saute’ pan over medium-low heat, cook shallots and garlic until soft about 8 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl whisk together eggs, milk, nutmeg, salt, cayenne pepper and nutmeg. Spread shallot mixture over bottom of cooked crust. Sprinkle grated sharp cheddar cheese over shallot mixture. Scatter spinach evenly over cheese. Pour egg mixture over top.
- Bake at 325º for 50 to 60 minutes or until custard is set and top is golden brown.
Defrost frozen spinach quickly by placing spinach in a fine mesh strainer and
run hot water over it.
Gather the spinach into a ball and squeeze it dry.
It takes a few minutes of squeezing and
re-squeezing to get all the water out.
You will be amazed at how much water comes out of spinach!