On the Menu Today~
Sourdough Kaiser Rolls~
Sourdough Kaiser Rolls make the perfect hamburger buns.
Close your eyes and
just imagine a thick, delicious, juicy, grilled hamburger..
served on a home-made, toasted, buttered sourdough kaiser roll…
Now open your eyes,
head to the kitchen and
make your very own sourdough kaiser rolls.
2 to 3 cups
1 1/2 cups
- Sprinkle yeast over warm water in a small bowl.
- Let stand about 10 minutes and small bubbles form.
- Sift 2 cups of the flour, salt and sugar into a large bowl. Add yeast mixture, eggs and starter; mix well. Add as much of the remaining flour as you can stir in. Turn dough out onto a well floured board. Knead for 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic, kneading in additional flour if needed to prevent sticking.
- Place dough in a lightly greased bowl. Cover loosely and set in a warm place until doubled in size, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Turn dough out onto a floured board, knead 8 to 10 times.
- Pat or roll dough out about 3/4 ” thick. Let dough rest about 10 minutes. Cut with a floured biscuit cutter 4″ in diameter. With your finger, poke a hole in the center of each round. Do not widen holes, they are supposed to close up again during rising and baking.
- Place rounds at least 2″ apart on baking sheets, generously dusted with cornmeal to prevent sticking, cover loosely and let rise until light and puffy, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 375 for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool completely on racks.