We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Panettone French Toast Bake
Citrusy and Light
This is the first year that I purchased a Panettone. I’m sure you have seen the festive, brightly colored,
hexagon shaped boxes at various stores throughout the holiday season. Every Christmas season, I too see the festive boxes, even have picked one up from time to time but for some reason I have never purchased one. I think I was under the impression that like grandma’s fruit cake, this Italian “cake” was going to be dense as a brick. This year I decided to change that fact and I bought a Panettone. Delicious, citrusy, and fluffy. Panettone French Toast Bake is the perfect dish to serve on Christmas morning
French Toast Bake?
This classic Italian Christmas bread, is very light and airy. Not at all dense and heavy like other Christmas fruitcakes or fruit-style breads. The fruit was in nice bite size pieces and the flavor was citrusy and delicious. I couldn’t believe it took me so long to purchase a panettone. In fact, a panettone is right up my alley. It’s the exact sort of bread that I love to eat and therefore love to find ways to re-invent this tasty bread. Hence, this recipe for French toast bake.
What is Panettone?
Panettone is a traditional sweet Italian bread filled with dried fruit and spices. Unlike fruitcake, Panettone is light and airy. Delicious eaten sliced and toasted, used in place of pound cake as a dessert or used in this delicious breakfast bake. Next year,
we’re going to tackle a homemade version.
- 2 loaves (2-1 lb. 10.5 oz each) boxes
- 6 to 8 large
- 3/4 cup
heavy whipping cream (heated to 70 to 80 degrees)
- 1/2 cup
- 1 tablespoon
- 1/2 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon
- 1/8 teaspoon each
salt and pepper
- 1 (3 oz) package
cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 to 4 tablespoons
- Slice each panettone into large cubes.
- Generously butter a 13 x 9 baking dish, place cubes in prepared pan. Set aside.
- Whisk the remaining ingredients together in a large bowl. Pour the mixture evenly over the bread cubes in baking dish. Push bread cubes into egg mixture.
- Cover the baking dish and place in the refrigerator for 6 hours or overnight.
- Remove dish from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and Serve with Maple Syrup.