On the Menu Today~
Cranberry Jezebel Sauce
Welcome Back to Football Friday
and the Game Day Recipe~
Jezebel Sauce is a popular Southern favorite,
eaten alongside meat and vegetables such as:
country ham, fried chicken and black-eyed peas.
There are probably as many recipes for Jezebel Sauce
as there are recipes for Fried Chicken.
So, What the heck is Jezebel Sauce?
Jezebel sauce is a hot, sweet and
spicy condiment named after that bad girl of the Bible.
The original bad girl….Jezebel.
Jezebel was something else indeed.
She caused havoc and stirred things up everywhere she went.
You can also say the same thing about this sauce that is her namesake…
Sweet, spicy with a kick of heat but very delicious and addictive.
During the cocktail parties of the 80’s,
when just about everything and
anything was poured over a block of cream cheese,
this sauce became a favorite hor d’oeuvre.
Arranged on a platter and
surrounded by buttery crackers,
this appetizer never goes out of style.
Make this version of Jezebel Sauce
using a favorite of mine, cranberries.
“Northern-style” Jezebel Sauce
is the perfect sauce to serve during the holiday season.
Cranberries and chili sauce give this sauce it’s beautiful red color.
Serve this gorgeous crimson sauce on a green plate for a festive look.
packed brown sugar
1 (12 oz) package
fresh or frozen cranberries
chili sauce (from bottle)
Dijon or Dusseldorf mustard
1 (8 oz) package
cream cheese, room temerature
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir in cranberries. Return to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes. Remove from heat, cool. Stir in chili sauce, mustard and horseradish.
- Cover and chill for several hours.
- To serve, place softened cream cheese on a serving plate.
- Pour sauce over cream cheese and serve with crackers.
1 1/2 teaspoons
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl, whisk together.
- Refrigerate several hours or overnight to allow flavors to blend.
- Serve with ham, vegetables or as an appetizer with crackers.