On the Menu Today~
Apple Cider Pie
An Old-Fashioned Pie with
an Old-Fashioned Taste~
apple pie spice
grated lemon rind
finely chopped crystallized ginger
1 package (2 crusts per box)
refrigerated pie crusts or homemade crusts
thinly sliced, peeled, tart cooking apples
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small saucepan, stir together the apple cider, golden raisins, cornstarch, apple pie spice, lemon rind and crystallized ginger. Bring to a boil over moderate heat, stirring constantly. Cook for 2 minutes or until mixture is thickened. Remove from heat.
- Line a 9-inch pie plate with 1 of the pie crusts, trim crust even with edge of pie plate.
- In a large bowl, stir together the sugar and flour, add the apples; toss until apples are coated.
- Spoon the apple mixture into crust. Spoon the cider mixture over apple mixture. Cut slits in the remaining pie crust; place on top of cider/apple mixture. Trim top crust to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold top crust under bottom crust and crimp edge. Sprinkle with a little additional sugar.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until apples are tender and crust is golden brown.
- Cool on wire rack for 2 hours before serving.
*Serving Suggestion: Serve pie with cinnamon ice cream or whipped cream.