We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Sourdough Cheese Rolls
Sourdough Cheese Rolls are wonderful! Tangy from the sourdough starter with a cheesy flavor. You can change the flavor of the rolls, simply by changing the cheese you use in the recipe. You can add one or two teaspoons of your favorite seasoning blend to the dough for added flavor.
Change the Cheese
To change the flavor of these rolls simply change the cheese used. Here are a few suggestions: shredded white cheddar, pepper jack, dill flavored or Swiss. Another suggestion would be to add sliced green onions, crispy bacon or diced ham. Experiment and see what you come up with.
- 1 teaspoon
- 3/4 cup
- 1 cup
- 1/4 cup
- 1/4 cup
- 2 teaspoons
- 1/2 teaspoon
- 1 cup
shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 to 4 1/2 cups
- 1-2 teaspoons garlic and herb seasoning blend, optional
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water; let stand a few minutes until mixture bubbles. Then mix in the starter, sugar, butter, egg, salt, baking soda, cheese and 3 1/2 cups of the flour and onion garlic seasoning blend of using. Mix well. Turn out onto a floured board and knead for 5 to 8 minutes, kneading in enough of the remaining 1 cup flour to make a soft dough. Place in a lightly greased bowl; turn to coat the top. Cover loosely and let rise 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until doubled. Punch down, turn out onto a floured board or counter top. Cover loosely and let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into 24 pieces.With oiled hands, shape into balls and place at least 2″ apart on greased baking sheets. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise again until double, about 30 to 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375º for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve warm with butter.