Brown Rice Medley, Blueberry and
Chicken Stuffed Squash
Brown rice medley, dried blueberries and
cooked chicken are mixed together,
then piled high into a red hubbard or
acorn squash half.
This recipe is tasty, rustic and hearty.
It combines the seasons bounty for the perfect fall meal.
I love this time of year.
Fresh fruits and vegetables abound.
I always feel inspired this time of year….
inspired to cook and/or to
bake fresh vegetables and fruits in new and delicious ways.
This recipe happens to be a favorite of ours.
It’s perfect for lunch or supper.
Brown Rice Medley, Chicken and Dried Blueberries blend wonderfully with Squash.
You can double or triple this recipe with the same great results.
You can leave the chicken out for a meatless meal and
your favorite wild rice blend can be substituted for the brown rice medley~
squash, red hubbard or acorn
2 1/2 cups
chicken bouillon cube
brown rice medley
1 to 2 cups diced
cooked chicken (rotisserie chicken)
dried blueberries or cranberries
- Wash squash, cut squash in half. Remove and discard loose fibers and seeds. Prick inside of each squash half with a fork. Sprinkle inside with salt and onion powder. Place squash in a 13 x 9- inch baking dish; add 1/2 inch water. Bake, uncovered at 350º for 45 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, bring water and bouillon cube to a boil. Add butter and brown rice medley. Bring back to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered for 35 minutes. Remove from stove, let rest covered 10 minutes.
- In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add shallot and garlic, saute for 3 to 5 minutes. Add chicken, chicken broth and poultry seasoning. Cook and stir for 5 to 7 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat, stir in rice mixture. Stir in dried blueberries or cranberries.
- Remove squash from oven. Fill inside of squash with rice mixture. Cover loosely with foil.
- Bake an additional 30 minutes or until squash is tender.