We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Peppers, Pepperoni, Mushroom Stromboli
Let me reassure you. Peppers, Pepperoni, Mushroom Stromboli tastes much, much better than the photos suggest. Made with peppers, fresh mushrooms, garlic, roasted red peppers, sliced black olives, pepperoni and a whole lotta cheese! Oh and did I mention that this delicious Stromboli is made with a loaf of frozen (thawed) whole wheat bread dough. Peppers, pepperoni, mushroom Stromboli turned out fantastic!
All this Stromboli making, got me thinking, “Why haven’t I made Stromboli more often?” After all, its a great way to use up left-overs, it’s easy to make and
it doesn’t really matter what ingredients you use
because let’s face it, anything enclosed in bread dough is going to taste good.
What is Stromboli?
A Stromboli is a calzone-like enclosed sandwich, made with cheese, usually mozzarella, pepperoni or sliced cold cuts, spaghetti or pizza sauce, onions, mini peppers and/or mushrooms, all wrapped up in a pizza or bread dough. It’s then baked until everything is nice and melted and the dough is golden brown. There are so many variations of stromboli that the possibilities are endless.
- 1 loaf frozen
whole wheat bread dough, thawed
- 1 cup (or more)
spaghetti or pizza sauce of your choice
- 3 tablespoons
- 6 mini
sweet peppers, sliced
- 1 (4 oz) can
sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 cloves
- 1/2 cup
jarred roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1/2 cup
sliced black olives
- 1/2 teaspoon each
garlic powder, onion powder, basil, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper
- 1 (3 oz) package
- 1 to 2 cups
shredded mozzarella cheese
- 6 ounces
sliced provolone cheese
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup
grated Parmesan cheese
egg, slightly beaten
- Place bread dough in a large greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add sweet peppers, mushrooms, garlic, roasted red peppers, black olives and all of the seasonings. Stir constantly until veggies tender. Remove from heat. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375º
- Punch dough down. Roll loaf into a 15 x 12-inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Spread spaghetti or pizza sauce over dough to within 1/2 inch from the edge. Layer pepper mixture, pepperoni, Havarti cheese and mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Fold ends inward towards middle, about an inch in, fold one long side in towards middle, fold remaining long side in towards middle, pinching ends together. Place seam side down on greased baking sheet. Lightly brush beaten egg over top. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and dried herbs.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before cutting.
*Broccoli Bacon Cherry Salad is a super delicious salad made with a mixture of broccoli, onion, bacon, dried cherries, cheese and sunflower seeds. A light mayonnaise, sugar and vinegar dressing is poured over the broccoli mixture and tossed together.