Homemade Pizza made with a Sourdough Pizza Crust~
- 1 cup
sourdough starter, unfed (straight from the refrigerator)
- 1/2 cup
hot tap water
- 2 1/2 cups
- 1 teaspoon
- 1/2 teaspoon
- 2 teaspoons
- Toppings of
- pizza sauce
make your own or use your favorite jarred sauce
- chopped onions,
chopped green peppers
- fresh basil
- Stir the sourdough starter, pour 1 cup starter into a mixing bowl.
- Add the hot water, flour, salt, yeast, and pizza seasoning; mix to combine and then knead til smooth and slightly sticky, about 7 minutes at medium speed using a stand mixer with dough hook or knead by hand for 8 minutes and dough is smooth and slightly sticky. Place the kneaded dough in a lightly greased bowl, and allow it to rise until doubled in size. This might take 2 to 4 hours or even longer.
- For two thin crust pizzas, divide the dough in half, shaping each half into a flattened disk. Drizzle two 12″ round pizza pans with olive oil. Place half the dough in each pan. Cover and let rest for 15 minutes. Gently press the dough towards the edges of the pans; when it starts to shrink back, cover it and let it rest again, for about 15 minutes. Finish pressing the dough to the edges of the pans.
- For a thick crust pizza, drizzle olive oil into a jelly roll pan, 15″ x 10.” Shape the dough into a flattened disk or oval. Place the dough in the pan, cover and let it rest for 15 minutes. Push the dough towards the edges of the pan; when it starts to shrink back, cover it and let it rest for 15 minutes. Finish pushing it to the edges of the pan.
- Cover the pan, let dough rise until it’s as thick as you like.
- Towards the end of the rising time, preheat your oven to 450º F.
- For thick crust, pre-bake the crust for about 8 minutes before topping. Top crust with your favorite toppings and bake an additional 10 minutes.
- For thin crust, bake 4 to 5 minutes before topping. Top with your favorite toppings and bake an additional 8 to 10 minutes.