Making your own chili powder is easy,
allows you to get the right flavor and
just the right degree of heat that you want.
Use precautions when handling hot peppers.
If possible, wear gloves when handling hot peppers and
be sure to wash your hands thoroughly after touching hot peppers.
Do not scratch your eyes, nose, face or any other sensitive area of your body.
You can purchase bags of dried chilies at your local grocery store,
Mexican grocery mart or specialty stores that sell spices.
The bags are usually sold in the produce department.
You can even order dried chilies online.
The recipe below is a blend of spices to make chili powder seasoning blend.
This recipe can be changed according to your taste and “heat” preference.
You can grind the dried chili peppers and
use the powder as is, without adding any other spices but
Beware, it will be “Hot.”
6 to 8
dried chilies, stem removed
whole cumin seeds
- Cut chilies into 1/2 inch pieces, if necessary
- Follow directions below
- Toast dried purchased peppers and cumin seeds..
- Put all of the dried chilies and cumin seeds in a medium cast iron or non-stick saute’ pan over medium-high heat.
- Cook, moving the pan constantly, until you begin to smell the cumin toasting, About 4 to 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Place the chilies, cumin and coriander seeds into a coffee grinder, spice grinder or mini food processor/chopper, that is used only for “hot” spices.
- Add the garlic powder and oregano. Process until the mixture turns into a powder. Be sure to wait a few minutes to let the dust settle, then pour into an airtight container to store for up to 6 months. Storing in the freezer helps to lengthen the storage time. Repeat process until all chilies are ground~
*I have a coffee grinder that I use ONLY for “hot” spices.
I have it marked on the side with “Hot Spices” in black with a permanent marker.*
*Grind in batches, Don’t try to grind to many peppers at once.
**You might need to open a window when toasting the chilies and cumin seeds.
***After your done grinding the chilies and when you take off the cover of the grinder, be extremely careful, the smell will be strong~