White Bean Spinach Soup
Serve this old-fashioned soup with a thick slices of buttered country-style bread. Alight and delicious soup that’s good for you too. White Bean Spinach Soup is great to serve anytime.
Made with dried, soaked great northern beans, low sodium chicken broth, (substitute vegetable stock for a meatless option) fresh baby spinach, orange sweet peppers, celery, carrots and onions this soup is a fantastic dinner option if you’re watching calories.
- 1 cup dried
great northern beans, sorted and rinsed
- 6 cups
water (to cover beans)
- 8 cups
water (for soup)
- 4 cups
lower-sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups
fresh baby spinach leaves*
- 3 mini
orange sweet peppers, sliced
- 2 medium
carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 small
sweet onion, diced
- 3 cloves
- 2 stalks
- 2 teaspoons
dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon
dried sage leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon each
salt and pepper
- In a large soup pot, combine the soaked beans with 8 cups water.
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer covered for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until beans are tender. Do Not Drain Water. Add to the cooked beans; chicken broth, 2 cups spinach leaves, sweet peppers, carrots, onion, garlic, celery, bay leaves, oregano, sage, salt and pepper. Simmer until veggies are tender. Discard bay leaves. Using a fork, slightly mash some of the the beans against side of pan. Before serving, divide remaining 1/2 cup baby spinach leaves between soup bowls. Ladle hot soup into bowls.
- In a large saucepan, combine beans and 6 cups water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Combine beans and 6 cups water in a large glass bowl.
- Let stand in a cool place at least 8 hours or overnight. (I like to use the overnight method.)
- Drain and thoroughly rinse beans.
*For this recipe we used pre-washed, packaged baby spinach leaves.
Did You Know? Do some taste-testing of various brands of Dijon mustard. Not only do they vary in color, from bright yellow to brownish yellow, but their flavor vary as well.