Pineapple Pork Egg Roll
Pinaapple Pork Egg Rolls Made with ground pork, Thai chili peppers and fresh baby spinach may sound like an odd combination of flavors but it really isn’t. The combination of sweet from the pineapple, spicy from the peppers and freshness from the ginger makes for an unforgettable egg roll.
Chili Dipping Sauce
For this recipe we purchased a simple chili sweet and sour dipping sauce. Feel free to dip your egg rolls into your favorite bottled sauce or make your own. An easy dipping sauce can be made up of soy sauce, fresh ginger, chilies, green onions and sugar. I’ve found with Asian style cooking, the simplistic sauces are the best.
Chinese Dishes at a Glance
Here is a list of four Chinese dishes that we’ve made most often here on T2T. Egg Roll: Egg Rolls are small, stuffed deep-fried Chinese pastries which are served as appetizers. Paper-thin egg roll wrappers are folded around a savory filling of shredded vegetables and meat. Stir-Fry: This cooking technique is at the heart of Chinese Cuisine. Using a wok or skillet, ingredients are cooked by rapidly stirring and tossing then in hot oil over high heat for a short period of time.
Wonton: These bite-size, deep-fried dumplings can be boiled or steamed. Paper-thin wonton skins are filled with a mixture of meat, seafood and/or vegetables. Cantonese: The city of Canton, now called Kwangchow, in southeastern 🇨🇳 China just north of 🇭🇰 Hong Kong. Gives its name to dishes of the region. Among them are sweet and sour dishes and stir fries.
- 2 tablespoons
- 3 cloves
- 1 tablespoon
grated fresh ginger
- 1 pound ground
Thai chili peppers
- 2 tablespoons
- 6 tablespoons
- 1 (20 oz) can
pineapple chunks, drained and diced
- 1 (9 oz) bag
egg roll wrappers (you can find egg roll wrappers in the produce section)
- dipping sauce
of your choice
- In a wok or large skillet, drizzle oil over high heat. Add the garlic and ginger. Fry just until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the pork and cook, stirring often, until pork is heated through. Stir in the chilies, cook for one minute, then add lime juice, fish sauce and sugar. Cook until most of the liquid has evaporated. Stir in the pineapple pieces and spinach.
- Cook until heated through and leaves begin to wilt, taste for seasoning. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Spoon 2 to 3 tablespoons of pork mixture on the bottom third of one egg roll wrapper, fold sides toward center, top with a few cilantro leaves, fold the sides of your egg roll wrapper over filling and roll tightly. Keep remaining wrappers covered with a damp paper towel until ready to use. Place seam side down on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Spray tops of egg rolls with cooking spray.
- Bake at 425º for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cool slightly. Serve with Chili Dipping Sauce.