We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Lemon Lavender Bars
How much Lavender?
Give it a Try
Grow Your Own
Adding lavender to a recipe might seem a little scary but as I mentioned above, experiment with it! Grow a lavender plant in your garden, which is very easy by the way, and try, try again. Start with fresh lavender by adding a spring to ice tea. See how that works for you. Then in the summer when the blossoms are ready, pick your lavender, bundle it and dry it by handing it upside down in a cool, dry place. You’ll have plenty of lavender to experiment with.
This is a basic lemon bar recipe with the exception of the addition of dried lemon. As far as lemon bars go, in my humble culinary opinion, it’s simply impossible to ruin a lemon bar recipe. I’ve made several different recipes over the years and I loved them all. Shortbread crust with a lemony, tart, lemon curd style filling and with a dusting of powdered sugar, delicious! Add a sprinkle or two of culinary lavender, awesome!
Lemon bars with a hint of Lavender. Perfect.
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup cold butter
- 1/2 teaspoon culinary lavender
- 4 eggs
- 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon culinary lavender
- confectioners' sugar for dusting, optional
In a medium bowl combine flour, confectioners' sugar and lavender; cut in butter until crumbly. Press into an ungreased 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan.
Bake at 350º for 20 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
For filling: In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs until frothy. Stir in lemon juice and peel. Combine the sugar, flour, and baking powder. Stir into the egg mixture. Pour over crust. Sprinkle lavender over top.* Bake for 25 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack.
Cut into bars and sprinkle with confectioners' sugar if desired.
* I added an extra sprinkle of lavender to the top of the bars for picture taking purposes.* World Market, has whole French lavender for sale online. A small package, (0.3 oz) sells for under $2. Since a very small amount of dried lavender goes a long way, this is a super deal! For more lemony recipe ideas; Lemon Meringue Pie Grandma’s Recipe, Lemon Raspberry Bars, and Lemon Tart with Meringue Cookies.
Health Note: Potatoes are a root vegetable that grows in the ground. Eating the skin of potatoes provides fiber that helps with digestion. Recent Recipe: Sourdough Blintzes