On the Menu Today~
Apple Orange Cranberry Crostata
What is a Crostata?
A Crostata is an Italian baked tart,
a free-form rustic style pie/tart.
A Crostata is easy to make,
delicious and impressive to serve.
It can be made with a number of fillings,
but my favorite filling is:
Apple Orange Cranberry.
apples, peeled, cored and sliced
apple pie spice
brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup
egg beaten with 1 teaspoon water for egg wash
- Preheat oven to 425º Spray baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- In a medium bowl, place apple slices; add cinnamon, nutmeg and apple pie spice. Toss to coat and add to skillet. Cook for 10 minutes and then stir in cranberries. Cranberries will pop when heated through. Add orange zest and orange juice. Cook until liquid cooks down slightly and apples are tender, cool.
- Unroll pie crust onto prepared baking sheet. Roll out into a large circle. Spoon prepared apple and cranberry mixture into center of crust and fold in sides loosely and unevenly. Using a pastry brush, brush egg wash over crust. Sprinkle crust with 1 teaspoon sugar.
- Bake at 425º for 12 to 15 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- 4 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoons ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamon
- Combine all ingredients, blend well.
- Store in a small, air-tight container.
You can adjust the amounts to your own personal taste