On the Menu Today~
Pear Nut Bread with Orange Glaze
Pear Nut Bread is so delicious.
It’s a delicately spiced fruit bread
made with juicy bartlett pears.
An orange glaze is drizzled over the bread while it’s still warm,
then allowed to cool completely.
It’s then wrapped in tin foil,
allowed to sit overnight and
sliced the next day~
Quick bread is a type of bread that is leavened with leavening agents other than yeast.
Quick breads cover a wide range from:
cakes, brownies, and cookies,
as well as banana bread, beer bread, biscuits,
cornbread, muffins, pancakes, scones and soda bread.
Some quick breads are made with a batter and
some are made with a dough.
They can be large or small, savory or sweet.
The major thing that identifies them
is the fact that they are as their name implies..
Quick to make.
1 (16 oz) can
Bartlett pear halves*
2 1/2 cups
all purpose flour
large egg, beaten
- Drain pears, reserving syrup; reserve one pear half for topping.
- Process remaining pears in a blender or use an immersion blender, process until smooth; transfer to a 1-cup measuring cup. Add as much of the reserved pear syrup as needed to make 1 cup. Reserve remaining syrup for other use.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and allspice in large bowl.
- Mix pear puree, oil, egg and orange rind in medium bowl.
- Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Fold in walnuts; batter will be stiff.
- Spoon batter into greased 8 x 4 inch loaf pan.
- Cut reserved pear half into 6 slices; arrange crosswise in a row on top of batter.
- Bake in preheated oven at 350º for 50 to 55 minutes or until wooden toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack, 5 minutes.
- Remove bread from pan; place on a wire rack over a piece of waxed paper.
sifted powdered sugar
- In a small bowl, mix powdered sugar and as much of the orange juice as needed to make a thin, smooth glaze. Drizzle glaze over warm bread.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
- Wrap bread in aluminum foil; let stand overnight before slicing.
When pears are in season,
substitute 1 fresh, ripe Bartlett pear
for the canned pear halves.
To make bread using fresh pears,
replace the pureed pears with applesauce.
Peel and thinly slice one fresh pear,
lay slices in a row on top of batter.