We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Home style Chili and Cornbread Muffins
This hearty home style chili is perfect for game day or on a chilly fall afternoon. It’s even better on a blustery winter afternoon. If you’re like my hubby you enjoy a bowl of chili with yummy cornbread muffins or if you’re like me buttered saltine crackers. But don’t forget the cheese to mound on top of your bowl of chili. All this talk about chili, buttered crackers and cornbread muffins is making me hungry!!
Styles of Chili
There has to be literally hundreds of recipes for chili. Every family seems to have their own version of chili and every region has a version that they call their own. Some have lots of beans, others only one kind. Some chili has noodles added to the pot of chili, others serve the chili over the noodles, while others say never to noodles altogether. Even the meat can vary. Then there is white chili, vegetarian chili and chili con carne. Styles of chili vary as much as the cooks who prepare them.
A chili recipe that I've made many, many times.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 pound sausage, pork or Italian
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic. minced
- 1 46 oz can tomato juice
- 1 10 1/2 oz can tomato soup
- 2 18 oz cans fire-roasted tomato cooking sauce
- 1 14 1/2 oz can beef broth
- 1 15 oz can kidney beans, undrained
- 1 15 oz can can black beans with jalapenos, undrained
- 1 28 oz can mild chili beans in mild sauce
- 1 4 oz can diced green chilies
- 3 14 1/2 oz cans diced tomatoes
- 2 1.25 oz envelopes chili seasoning mix
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 16 oz package cellentani noodles or elbow macaroni, cooked according to package directions
- Mexican-blend cheese, optional
In large skillet brown ground beef, sausage, chopped onion, green pepper, celery, and minced garlic. Drain. Set aside.
In large soup kettle add: tomato juice, tomato soup, tomato cooking sauce, beef broth, kidney beans, black beans, chili beans, green chilies, diced tomatoes, seasoning mix, chili powder, cumin, dried peppers, and bay leaves. Stir in ground beef mixture. Heat over medium heat until bubbly. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours. Stirring often.
Remove bay leaf before serving. Serve chili over cooked noodles.
Garnish with cheese, optional
Warm cornbread muffins served with butter and honey.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup yellow corn meal
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
In a large bowl, mix cornmeal and milk. Cover with a towel and let sit for 10 minutes.
Preheat oven to 375º Spray or lightly grease 12 cup muffin tin. This recipe makes 12-15 muffins.
After 10 minutes, stir egg and oil into cornmeal and milk mixture.
In separate bowl mix together flour, sugars, salt and baking powder. Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Spoon mixture into prepared muffin tins.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Recent Recipe: Marbled Brownies