We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Boston Brown Bread
with Step-by-Step Pictures
This recipe is delicious with Baked Beans . In fact, this recipe was found on the flip side of the baked bean recipe, that my grandma tore out of a Mc Calls magazine so many years ago. Baked beans and Boston Brown Bread complement each other beautifully. A meal in itself. Give them both a try.
Boston Brown Bread is made in a Coffee Can
A dense bread steamed in a coffee can.
- 1 1/2 cups
- 2 cups
unsifted all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons
- 1 teaspoon
- 1/2 teaspoon
- 1 1/3 cups
- 1 1/3 cups
- 3/4 cup
- 1 cup
light or dark raisins
- Grease well 2 (1-pound size) coffee cans.
- In a large bowl sift cornmeal, flour, baking soda, salt and allspice.
- In a small bowl, combine milk, buttermilk and dark molasses.
- Gradually add milk mixture to flour mixture; beat with a spoon just until combined. Stir in raisins. Spoon into coffee cans, filling 2/3 full. Wrap pieces of heavy duty foil tightly over tops.
- Place cans on rack in a deep kettle. Add boiling water to kettle to come halfway up sides of cans; cover. Steam 2 1/2 to 3 hours; adding more boiling water as needed. Remove and cool on rack. Serve with baked beans.
Place a rack in bottom of deep stock pot or canner
Use clean metal coffee cans
One pound size coffee can works best
Assemble ingredients needed
Grease cans well with solid shortening
Sift cornmeal, flour, baking soda, salt and allspice
Mix together milk, buttermilk and molasses
Add to dry ingredients, mix with spoon, just until combined
Lightly fold in golden raisins
Spoon batter into the well greased coffee cans
Fill cans 2/3 full
Tap bottom of can on hard surface to bring air bubbles to the surface
Wrap pieces of heavy duty foil tightly over tops of cans. Place cans on rack in deep kettle
Add boiling water to kettle to come halfway up sides of cans, cover kettle
Steam for 2 1/2 to 3 hours
Remove bread from kettle, cool. Remove bread from coffee cans
Slice bread and serve with baked beans
This recipe was made with Sun Maid Raisins