On the Menu Today~
Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
Stuffed Cabbage Rolls are perfect for
St Patty’s Day or Any day~
This is one of our most requested recipes.
Sauerkraut and lemon zest add that extra something special.
ground beef, ground turkey or ground pork (a combination of all three can be used)
cooked white rice
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons
snipped fresh parsley
1 (32 oz) jar
sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
2 (15 oz) cans
packed brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Trim veins from cabbage leaves. Immerse leaves, four at a time, into boiling water. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or just until leaves are limp. Carefully remove leaves with tongs or a slotted spoon. Drain well.
- For filling: In a large skillet, over medium heat, cook ground meat and onion until meat is browned; drain off fat. In a medium bowl combine cooked meat mixture, cooked rice, egg, parsley, salt, 1 cup sauerkraut, 1-15 oz can tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, brown sugar, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, lemon zest, allspice and pepper. Mix well.
- Lightly grease 3-quart rectangle baking dish. Mix together 1-15 oz can tomato sauce, rest of sauerkraut, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley. Mix together well and pour into prepared baking dish.
- Place about 1/3 cup of the filling in the center of each cabbage leaf: fold in sides. Staring at an unfolded edge, carefully roll each leaf, making sure folded sides are tucked into the roll. Arrange cabbage rolls on sauerkraut mixture in baking dish. Sprinkle any left over meat mixture over cabbage rolls.
- Bake, covered, in a 350º oven about 45 minutes. Remove foil, bake an additional 15 minutes or until heated through.