Lemon Poppy Seed Oatmeal Scones are a huge favorite in my house. In fact, anything involving lemon, white chocolate, oatmeal and poppy seeds are all considered game. Made into scones, even better. If you take a peek at my recipe index, you will no doubt see that here at Turnips 2 Tangerines we do love our scones. Any kind of scones will do, too.
Lemon Scones are Easy and Flexible
One of my favorite things about making scones is the fact that they are not only easy to prepare but scones are so flexible. Combine any ingredients together and you will have a delicious scone. Hence this recipe for scones. I got a hankering for a scone and the only “add in” ingredients were lemon, oatmeal, white chocolate and poppy seeds. The end result became these tasty scones.
- 2 1/2 cup
- 1 cup
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup
butter, cold and cubed
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips,
- Preheat oven 425 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In large bowl, combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Cut in butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add grated lemon zest. In small bowl, stir together egg, lemon juice, and buttermilk.
- Add milk mixture to flour mixture; stir together until dough forms a ball.
- Stir in poppy seeds and white chocolate chips.
- Turn dough onto floured surface; knead 5 to 10 times. Pat into a 10 inch circle. Cut into 10 wedges. Place wedges onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake at 425º for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from baking sheet and transfer to wire rack to cool.