I love Scones…
Scones are versatile, easy to prepare, and taste wonderful!
Scones are great for breakfast or
with a cup of hot tea or coffee in the afternoon
This is a great recipe using fresh blueberries and a touch of lemon.
I like to serve these delicious scones with lemon curd…
you can make your own lemon curd, which I often do…
but I always have a jar of ready made lemon curd in my refrigerator…
just in case the ‘scone’ urge hits me~
- 6 tablespoons unsalted cold butter, cubed
fresh blueberries, rinsed and patted dry
egg, slightly beaten
egg, for wash
- Preheat oven to 425º Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in cold butter with a pastry blender. Mixture should look like coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl combine egg, buttermilk, lemon juice and lemon zest. Add to flour mixture.
- Stir just until dough comes together. Do Not Over Mix.
- Knead dough in bowl 4 to 6 times. Fold in blueberries.
- Transfer to lightly floured surface. Pat dough into a 7 inch circle. Cut into 8 wedges.
- Place wedges on prepared baking sheet.
- Brush tops of scones with beaten egg, sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown.