Bologna Salad Spread
Even though Memorial Day Weekend is over and
summer is known as the "Grilling Season",
if never hurts to have a sandwich filling ready for lunch or
for those rainy days that always seems to accompany the week-ends,
when you have a house full of friends and family.
You can also serve Bologna Salad Spread on buttery crackers.
It's perfect served as an easy appetizer to munch on while your grillin' burgers.
My mom made this spread when I was growing up.
We called it pickled bologna.....
She made pickled bologna with one of those cast-iron meat grinders
that you attached to your counter top and
turned a big handle to grind the bologna.
My mom used dill pickles and
ground those also in the grinder.
She would add just enough miracle whip to moisten
all the ingredients together...
When I first started making 'pickled' bologna,
I made it like my mom did....
using that old meat grinder to grind the dill pickles and ring bologna.
(that old meat grinder is long gone, having misplaced it somewhere along the way.)
Now I use a few tablespoons of sweet pickle relish instead of the dill pickles and
I also add a few tablespoons of grated onion.
Bologna Sandwich Spread
- 2 (14 oz) packages ring bologna, ground (use a good brand)
- 1 to 1 1/4 cups mayonnaise with olive oil (or to taste)
- 3/4 cup sweet pickle relish, well drained
- 3 tablespoons grated onion
- In a bowl, mix the ground bologna, mayonnaise, relish, onion, salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate at least an hour before serving.