Frog Eye Salad
Good Morning and Welcome!
It's time for Sunday Supper.
This Weeks Event: Summer's Best Potluck Dishes
Hosted by: Shelby for Grumpy's Honey Bunch
Frog Eye Salad is best described
as a creamy, fruity, fruit salad made with pasta.
I thought my grand-kids would like this salad
when I told them the name..
but it turned out,
we all loved this.
I had never of Frog Eye Salad....
I'm really not sure why?
Maybe because it's not a Midwest "salad"
I did some research and
from what I found out,
it may have originated in Utah and
it's very popular there.
If anyone knows anything about Frog Eye Salad,
please leave us a comment below.
We'd love to learn more about this scrumptious salad.
Frog Eye Salad is very similar to an Ambrosia Salad
a very popular Southern salad that is made with
mini marshmallows, pineapple, mandarin oranges and
coconut in a pudding/whipped cream mixture.
Frog eye salad is made, along with the cooked pasta,
crushed pineapple, pineapple tidbits, mini marshmallows,
mandarin oranges and a cooked filling.
Mix it all together with whipped cream or
a non-dairy whipped topping and
you have delicious!
Frog Eye Salad is named after the pasta used in the salad,
the small little pasta called; Acini di Pepe.
This pasta is said to look like little eyes, hence the name.
I have seen recipes for this salad using ring macaroni,
instead of the Acini di Pepe pasta.
I think the next time I make this salad,
I'm going to use both....more eye-like, I think:)
This recipe makes a lot of lip-smacking, yummy salad.
If your invited to a party tomorrow
to celebrate Memorial Day or
over the summer, if your asked to bring a dish to pass,
Frog Eye Salad is definitely a dish everyone will love.
Frog Eye Salad
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 3/4 cup unsweetened pineapple *see note
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 (16 oz) package acini di pepe pasta
- 3 (11 oz) cans mandarin oranges, drained
- 2 (20 oz) cans pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1 (20 oz) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 (8 oz) tub non-dairy whipped topping (cool-whip)
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- Note: Use drained pineapple juice and mandarin orange juice plus enough water to equal 1 3/4 cups.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pineapple juice and eggs. Stir and cook over medium heat until thickened. Remove from heat; add lemon juice and cool to room temperature.
- Bring water to a boil. add oil, remaining salt and cook pasta until al dente. Rinse under cold water and drain.
- In a large bowl, combine the pasta, egg mixture, mandarin oranges, pineapple and whipped topping.
- Mix well and refrigerate overnight or until well chilled. Before serving, add marshmallows and coconut. Toss and serve.
Salad, Pasta, Pineapple, Mandarin Oranges, Cream, Orange, Coconut, Marshmallow
- Calamari salad with fennel and avocado by Caroline’s Cooking
- Coronation Chicken Deviled Eggs by Food Lust People Love
- Creamy Ranch Tortilla Pinwheels with Roasted Red Peppers by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Roasted Corn Salsa by Casa de Crews
- Walnut Grapes by Eat, Drink and Be Tracy
- Watermelon Salad with Feta Cheese and Mint by April Golightly
- Amish Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad by My World Simplified
- Antipasto Pasta Salad by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Arugula Pesto Pasta Salad with Grilled Chicken by Hardly A Goddess
- Cheddar Bacon Ranch Potato Salad by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Chopped Caprese Salad by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Crunchy Coleslaw by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Cumin Scented Quinoa with Black Bean and Corn Salsa by The Hungry Goddess
- Easy Summer Chickpea Salad by She Loves Biscotti
- Elotes by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Frog Eye Salad by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Gluten Free Grilled Corn Salad by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Layered Salad with Green Goddess Dressing by Delaware Girl Eats
- No Mayo Potato Salad by Simple and Savory
- Roasted Vegetable Couscous Salad by My Life Cookbook
- Spaghetti Salad with Italian Dressing by Kitchen Gidget
- Summer Grain Salad by Pook’s Pantry
- Summer Tortellini Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Tarragon Marinated Brussels Sprouts by Beauty and the Beets
- Steve’s Fried Chicken by Monica’s Table
- Blueberry Ginger Parfaits by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Blueberry Slab Pie by The Chef Next Door
- Caramel Icebox Cake by Cookin’ Mimi
- Caramel “Doughnut” Cake by What Smells So Good?
- Cherry Crumb Bars by The Redhead Baker
- Chocolate Eclair Cake by Tramplingrose: Cooking, Baking & Ranting in Small-Town South Dakota
- Coconut Lime Ice Cream by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Cookie Butter Caramel Swirl Brownies by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Double Chocolate Blondies by Family Around The Table
- Frozen Champagne Salad by Moore or Less Cooking
- How to make a Pineapple Summer Cake by Asian In America
- Lemon Icebox Bars by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mini Strawberry-Rhubarb Crisps with Coconut by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- No-Bake Summer Berry Cream Cheese Tarts by Magnolia Days
- Peach Dumplings by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Peanut Butter Bars by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- S’mores Blondies by Alida’s Kitchen
- Strawberry Pretzel Pie by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Summertime S’Mores by The Freshman Cook
- Triple Peanut Butter Cookies by Cooking With Carlee
- White Sheet Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Whole Wheat Strawberry Galette by The Bitter Side of Sweet