A traditional Christmas favorite~
- 1/2 cup dried tart cherries
- 2 tablespoons kirsch
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese or quark
- 1/2 cup red candied cherries
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh lemon peel
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- confectioners' sugar
- Soak dried tart cherries in 2 tablespoons kirsch for at least 4 hours or overnight. Drain.
- Preheat oven to 325º degrees. Grease large baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. With pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- With a large spoon, stir in ricotta cheese or quark until moistened. Stir in candied cherries, soaked cherries, pecans, vanilla, lemon peel, egg, and egg yolk until well combined.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; gently knead dough 2 or 3 times to blend. With floured rolling pin, roll dough into a 10" by 8" oval. Fold lengthwise in half.
- Place stollen on prepared baking sheet. Bake stollen 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove stollen from baking sheet to wire rack, cool completely. Sprinkle generously with confectioners' sugar.
What is Quark? Find out here~ Quark