It's served as an aperitif and
as an after-dinner drink.
Limoncello is best stored
in your freezer.
Limoncello is perfect for Summer.
A Lemony Refreshing, Cold Drink
Homemade Limoncello or Lemon Liqueur~
Homemade Limoncello or Lemon Liqueur
- 1 bottle 100 proof, mid-grade vodka or
- 1 bottle Everclear 151 grain alcohol
- 3 to 4 organic lemons, peels only
- 5 cups bottled water
- 3 1/2 cups white sugar
- Save vodka bottle or everclear grain alcohol bottle to reuse when Limoncello is finished.
- Step one:
- Select organic, smooth skinned lemons.
- Step two:
- Wash lemons in warm water. Scrub lemons with a vegetable brush to remove all stickers, stamps and wax. Dry lemons with paper towels.
- Step three:
- Zest lemons using a microplane zester. Use the zester to remove a thin layer of zest from the whole lemons. The white pith just below the zest will make the Limoncello bitter.
- Step four:
- Strain Everclear 151 Grain Alcohol or 100 mid-grade Vodka four times. Filter 4 times using a Brita used for this purpose only or filter through cheesecloth and a disposable coffee filter.
- Step five:
- Combine the zest and filtered liquor into a very clean one gallon glass jar, with a tight fitting lid. Screw the lid on tight.
- Step six:
- Wait for 10 days, shake the jar 4 times during this 10 day period. Then store the glass jar in a cool, dark place for 45 days.
- Step seven:
- Filter the infusion. First Filter: Use a flat bottom permanent coffee filter, (found at grocery stores) Put the filter in a funnel, put the funnel in a pitcher or whatever container you are using. Ladle the infusion out of the glass storage jar and through the filter lined funnel. Second and Third Filter: Put a flat bottom disposable coffee filter the kind with the fluted edges, inside the permanent filter. Filter the infusion, twice. Last Filter: Remove disposable filter, discard, filter infusion through permanent filter only. Discard permanent filter. Infusion should now be back in the large glass jar with screw lid.
- Step eight:
- Make simple syrup: Bring 5 cups filtered bottled water just to a boil, remove from heat, stir in 3-1/2 cups of white sugar. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Let come to room temperature. Once the simple syrup has come to room temperature, add to the lemon/liquor infusion, screw the top back on and shake the jar. Make a label and date that you mixed the lemon/infusion with the simple syrup.
- Step nine: Wait...Store jar in a cool, dark place for 45 days or longer.
- Step ten: Bottle Limoncello.
- Pour boiling water in bottle the grain alcohol or vodka came in. Let water come to room temperature. Dump water out. With a funnel, fill bottle with final product.