Garnishing with Edible Flowers~
Brie with Honey
Edible flowers add eye catching color and
Like herbs, the more fragrant an edible flower is
the more flavor it will have~
Flowers look beautiful as a garnish on your
plate but what do they taste like?
Here is a short list of common edible flowers and
what flavor(s) they have~
1. Chive blossoms (onion)
2. Daylily (sweet, nutty)
3. Dianthus (spicy)
4. Lavender (mild)
5. Nasturtium (peppery)
6. Pansy (slightly spicy)
7. Rose (slightly sweet)
8. Squash Blossoms (sweet)
9. Viola, Violet (sweet, spicy)
10. Geranium (depending on variety,
(apple, lemon, mint, nutmeg, and rose)
11. Apple Blossom (delicate, floral)
12. Pear Blossom (delicate, floral)
13. Peach Blossom (delicate, floral)
14. Squash Blossom (sweet, nectar)
15. Bee Balm (in tea, like Earl Grey)
16. Marigold (spicy)
17. Johnny Jump-Ups (mild wintergreen)
18. Hollyhock (bland)
19. Impatiens (bland)
20. Peony (sweet, floral)
21. Carnations (spicy, peppery)
22. Honeysuckle (sweet)
23. Chrysanthemums (pungent, bitter)
24. Calendulas (economic alternative to Saffron, but not as pungent)
The best way to have a steady supply of edible flowers
is to grow them yourself.
You can then grow flowers that are
chemical and pesticide-free.
If you don't garden, look for edible flowers in the
produce section of your supermarket or health food stores.
Flowers from florist are
often chemically treated.
Talk to a florist and ask if the flowers they sell are treated and
ask them where you can purchase flowers that are pesticide free.
Many edible flowers are perennials,
meaning they come back each year.
This makes planting perennials economical and
easy to grow.
Want to make the Mini Lemon Flower Tarts shown in the pictures?
Find the recipe here: Mini Lemon Flower Tarts
Here is an easy way to serve Brie Cheese~
Brie with Honey
- 1 wheel brie cheese
- 2 to 4 tablespoons honey
- edible flowers of your choice
- assorted crackers
- Cut brie cheese into wedges.
- Remove outer rind, if desired.
- Drizzle wedges of brie cheese with honey.
- Top with edible flowers.
- Serve with assorted crackers.