On the Menu Today~
Lemon Tart with
This recipe is featured on CCN~
Culinary Content Network~ The Daily Meal
Instead of topping this
Lemon Tart with a Whipped Topping...
Try using Meringue Cookies~
Meringue cookies are light and airy,
delicious and low-fat.
Meringue cookies add a festive and
whimsical touch to this sensational lemon tart.
Another thing I like about these cute cookies...
you can make them in any color you like!
A platter of pastel colored meringue cookies,
will add a festive touch on any spring luncheon table.
Lemon Tart with Meringue Cookies
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 stick cold butter, cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
Make the crust
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and lemon zest in a large bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or your fingers, until dough starts to hold together.
- Stir together 1 tablespoon water and lemon extract, mix into dough. Shape dough into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Using your fingers press dough evenly into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch fluted tart pan with a removable bottom. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Remove from refrigerator. Preheat oven to 375º Bake tart shell until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Let cool completely.
- 2 large eggs
- 3 large egg yolks, save the egg whites to make meringue cookies
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
Make the lemon curd
- Whisk together eggs, egg yolks, sugar and cornstarch in a medium saucepan. Whisk in lemon zest and juice. Cook over medium low heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in butter, one piece at a time. Pour filling into cooled tart shell.
- Bake until filling is slightly puffed and set, about 30 minutes. Let cool completely.
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 drops yellow food coloring, optional
Make the Cookies
- Preheat oven to 225º
- Beat egg whites in large bowl,. with electric mixer on medium speed until frothy. Add cream of tartar and a pinch of salt. Beat until soft peaks form. Increase speed to medium-high. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time until sugar is dissolved and stiff peaks form. Beat in vanilla extract and food coloring if using until well blended. Transfer meringue to a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2 to 3/4 inch open star tip. Gently squeeze bag to pipe meringue onto 2 large foil lined baking sheets sprayed with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake both sheets of meringues at the same time for 45 minutes. Turn oven off. Let meringues stand in oven for 1 hour or until completely cooled. Remove from oven.
- Decorate the top of cooled lemon tart with meringue cookies.
Lemon, Meringue, Cookies, Tart, Pie