Temperatures are in the low 30's with more rain and
A few flurries farther north.
It won't be long now and the clocks with "fall back" and
The evening darkness will arrive by 4:15 pm
Now that the colder weather is here to stay,
it's officially Soup Time!
White Bean and Ham Soup is Delicious~
We recently put a ham on our Ronco Showtime Rotisserie and BBQ Oven.
About twice a year we get out our Ronco Showtime Rotisserie, and cook a ham.
It's the best way to cook a ham.
There are so many things you can do with ham.
Not only are ham sandwiches delicious, but so are omelettes, scalloped potatoes and ham
And of course soup.
Another way to use ham is to grind it in a meat grinder.
Deviled ham sandwiches and ham croquettes are delicious!
I like to save the meaty ham bone and freeze it until I'm ready to make soup.
White Bean and Ham Soup
- 1 pound dried great northern beans
- 1 meaty ham bone or 2 smoked ham hocks
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 6 cups water
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small green pepper, seeded, chopped
- 1 small red pepper, seeded, chopped
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz) diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 t dried basil
- 2 t creole seasoning
- 1/4 t pepper
- 2 T dried parsley flakes
- 2 t liquid smoke, optional
- Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add enough water to cover by 2 inches.
- Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse beans; return to Dutch oven or soup kettle; add ham bone or ham hocks.
- Add vegetable broth and water.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 2 hours.
- Add carrots, celery, onion, garlic, green pepper, red pepper and can of fire roasted diced tomatoes. Add seasonings and liquid smoke, if using.
- Simmer 1 hour longer.
- Remove meat and bones from soup.
- Remove meat from bones; dice and return to kettle.
- Heat through.
- Discard bay leaves before serving.
Beans, Ham, Soup
The opinions stated here are my own.
I have not been compensated from Ronco.