Chili and Cornbread Muffins
This hearty chili is perfect for game day or
on a chilly fall afternoon.
Enjoy a bowl of chili with
yummy cornbread muffins~
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 pound sausage (pork, Italian)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (46 oz) can tomato juice
- 1 (10 1/2 oz) can tomato soup
- 2 (18 oz) cans fire-roasted tomato cooking sauce, (Progresso recipe starters)
- 1 (14 1/2 oz) can beef broth
- 1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, undrained
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans with jalapenos, undrained
- 1 (28 oz) can mild chili beans in mild sauce
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies
- 3 (14 1/2 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 (1.25 oz) envelopes chili seasoning mix
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 dried ancho peppers, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (16 oz) package cellentani noodles or elbow macaroni, cooked according to package directions
- Mexican-blend cheese, optional
- In large skillet brown ground beef, sausage, chopped onion, green pepper, celery, and minced garlic. Drain. Set aside.
- In large soup kettle add: tomato juice, tomato soup, tomato cooking sauce, beef broth, kidney beans, black beans, chili beans, green chilies, diced tomatoes, seasoning mix, chili powder, cumin, dried peppers, and bay leaves. Stir in ground beef mixture. Heat over medium heat until bubbly. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours. Stirring often.
- Remove bay leaf before serving~
- Garnish with cheese, optional
Place cooked cellentani noodles or elbow macaroni in large soup bowls.
Spoon chili over noodles.
Top with shredded Mexican cheese.
Serve with cornbread muffins.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup yellow corn meal
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, mix cornmeal and milk. Cover with a towel and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375º Spray or lightly grease muffin tin. This recipe makes 12-15 muffins.
- After 10 minutes, stir egg and oil into cornmeal and milk mixture.
- In separate bowl mix together flour, sugars, salt and baking powder. Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Spoon mixture into prepared muffin tins.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.