Chili and Cornbread Muffins
This hearty chili is perfect for game day or
on a chilly fall afternoon.
Enjoy a bowl of chili with
yummy cornbread muffins~
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 pound sausage (pork, Italian)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (46 oz) can tomato juice
- 1 (10 1/2 oz) can tomato soup
- 2 (18 oz) cans fire-roasted tomato cooking sauce, (Progresso recipe starters)
- 1 (14 1/2 oz) can beef broth
- 1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, undrained
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans with jalapenos, undrained
- 1 (28 oz) can mild chili beans in mild sauce
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies
- 3 (14 1/2 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 (1.25 oz) envelopes chili seasoning mix
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 dried ancho peppers, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (16 oz) package cellentani noodles or elbow macaroni, cooked according to package directions
- Mexican-blend cheese, optional
- In large skillet brown ground beef, sausage, chopped onion, green pepper, celery, and minced garlic.
- Drain. Set aside.
- In large soup kettle add: tomato juice, tomato soup, tomato cooking sauce, beef broth, kidney beans, black beans, chili beans, green chilies, diced tomatoes, seasoning mix, chili powder, cumin, dried peppers, and bay leaves.
- Stir in ground beef mixture.
- Heat over medium heat until bubbly.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours. Stir often.
- Remove bay leaf before serving~
- Garnish with cheese, optional
Place cooked cellentani noodles or elbow macaroni in large soup bowls
Spoon chili over noodles.
Top with shredded Mexican cheese~
Serve with cornbread muffins~
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup yellow corn meal
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, mix cornmeal and milk.
- Cover with a towel and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375º
- Spray or lightly grease muffin tin. This recipe makes 12-15 muffins.
- After the cornmeal and milk have had there time alone, stir in egg and oil.
- In separate bowl mix together flour, sugars, salt and baking powder.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients
- Spoon mixture into prepared muffin tin.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.