What a great way to use your sourdough starter~
- 3/4 cup lukewarm water
- 1 cup unfed sourdough starter, straight from the refrigerator
- 3 cups unbleached flour
- 1/4 cup nonfat dry milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter or oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 tablspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- sea salt
- 2 tablespoons melted butter, optional
- Mix and knead the dough ingredients by hand, mixer or bread machine, to make a cohesive, fairly smooth dough. It should be slightly sticky; if it seems dry, knead in an additional tablespoon or two of water.
- Cover the dough and let it rise for 45 minutes, towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 350º
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly greased work surface, fold over a few times to gently deflate, then divide it into 12 pieces. Roll each piece of dough into a 18 inch rope. Shape each rope into a pretzel. Dissolve the sugar in water. Brush the pretzels with the solution and sprinkle with salt. Bake at 350º for 25 to 30 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- Remove pretzels from oven and brush with melted butter if desired.
Sourdough, Pretzels, German