On the Menu Today~
Multi Grain Sourdough Boule'
Multi-Grain Sourdough Boule'
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup harvest grains blend
- 2 cups sourdough starter, fed and ready to use
- 1 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 3/4 cup artisan bread flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- topping: 2 tablespoons harvest grains bread topping or your favorite blend of seeds
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the harvest grains blend and boiling water. Let cool to lukewarm. Add the fed sourdough starter and the remaining dough ingredients, mix and knead by hand, mixer, bread machine, or food processor until you've made a soft dough, adding additional water or flour as needed. Cover the dough in the bowl, and let it rise until it's almost doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly greased work surface, and gently fold it over a few times to deflate it. Shape it into a large round. Cover the round with lightly greased plastic wrap. Or place in a round covered baker that has been sprayed with a non-stick baking spray and sprinkled with cornmeal. Put on the cover . Let the loaf rise until it's very puffy, about 1 to 1-1/2 hours. Towards end of the rising time, preheat oven to 425º
- Just before baking, brush with water and sprinkle with harvest grains bread topping. Use a lame or a very sharp knife to make four slashes across the top of the loaf, in a crosshatch pattern.
- Bake the bread for 40 minutes, uncover the loaf if in a covered baker and continue to bake 10 to 15 minutes more or until the loaf is golden brown and an instant read thermometer inserted into the center registers 190. (A loaf baked on a baking sheet will need to bake for 38 to 45 minutes total) Remove bread from the oven, let sit in the baker for 5 minutes, cool on wire rack.