Italian Sausage and Peppers
Italian sausage and peppers is made in your crock pot,
which makes it a winner in my book.
We like it served with Polenta~
Italian Sausage and Peppers with Polenta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 pounds Italian sweet sausage links
- 6 green peppers
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablspoon Italian seasoning
- Turn an empty 4 or 5 quart slow cooker on high heat setting, pour the olive oil into the bottom. Stir the garlic into the oil, cover the slow cooker. Let the garlic heat up while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Slice the onion and add to the oil in the slow cooker. Cut each sausage link into thirds; add to the slow cooker. Cut green peppers into thin strips; add to the crock pot. Stir all ingredients well. Add crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes with green chilies, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Cover and turn crock pot to low setting. Cook 7 to 8 hours.
- 6 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 3/4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 green onions, chopped
- Bring 6 cups of water to a boil in a large heavy saucepan, add 2 teaspoon salt. Gradually whisk in the cornmeal. Reduce heat to low and cook until the mixture thickens and the cornmeal is tender, about 15 minutes stirring often.
- Turn off the heat and add the butter, stirring until the butter is melted. Stir in chopped green onions. Pour mixture into a buttered 11 x 7 x 1.5 baking dish. Cool. Refrigerate until set. Cut polenta in large squares. You can also cut the polenta with cookie cutters for a more festive look.
Italian, Peppers, Polenta, Casserole, Crock Pot, Slow Cooker