Eggplant Lasagna replaces traditional lasagna noodles with eggplant slices~
It's a great way to add veggies to your diet.
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 beaten eggs
- 3/4 cup Italian-style bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 pounds eggplant, peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch thick
- 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- 1 (16 oz) container ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded Italian blend cheese
- additional Parmesan cheese
- Lightly grease a 3 quart rectangular baking dish; set aside.
- In a shallow dish, combine milk and eggs. In a second shallow dish combine Italian style bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese.
- Dip eggplant slices in egg mixture, then coat with bread crumb mixture. In a 12-inch skillet cook eggplant slices, several at a time, in hot oil for 2 minutes on each side. Repeat with remaining eggplant slices, adding more oil if necessary. Drain slices on paper towels.
- In a large skillet, cook ground turkey, onion, minced garlic, salt and pepper. Cook until ground turkey is brown. Drain off fat. Stir in tomato sauce and Italian seasoning.
- Layer half of the eggplant slices in the prepared baking dish, cutting slices to fit if necessary. Spread with half of the meat mixture. Drop spoonfuls of ricotta cheese over meat mixture. Sprinkle with half of the cheese, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers, ending with cheese.
- Bake, covered in a 350º oven for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for 30 minutes more or until heated through. Let stand 10 mins before serving.