Saturday, September 29, 2012
Shrimp Egg Rolls With Sweet-Sour Sauce
- 4-1/2 t cornstarch
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1 c pineapple juice
- 1/2 c white vinegar
- 2 T ketchup
- 1 t soy sauce
- 2 dried whole chili peppers
- 1 c (6 oz) small shrimp, drained and chopped
- 1 c (10 oz) bean sprouts, drained and chopped
- 2 cups cole slaw mix, chopped
- 1/3 c chopped green onions
- 1 T vegetable oil
- 1/2 t pepper
- 2 t soy sauce
- 12 egg roll wrappers
- For Sweet-Sour Sauce: combine the cornstarch, sugar, pineapple juice, vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce and dried chili peppers in a saucepan until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 mins. or until thickened. Remove from heat; set aside.
- In a large skillet, stir-fry the shrimp, bean sprouts, cole slaw mix, and onions in oil until crisp tender; stir in pepper and soy sauce. Cool slightly. Position egg roll wrappers with a long edge facing you. Spoon 1/4 c of shrimp mixture on the bottom third of each wrapper. Fold bottom over filling; fold sides over filling towards center. Moisten top edge with water; roll up tightly to seal.
- In a deep saucepan, electric skillet, or deep fat fryer, heat oil to 375. Fry egg rolls a few at a time, for 3-4 mins or until golden brown, turning often. Drain on paper towels. Serve with Sweet-sour sauce.
shrimp, egg rolls