1/4 cup sugar
1/8 t. salt
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
1 egg, beaten
3 T buttermilk
1/4 cup dried cherries
2 t. orange zest
1 packet true orange, (cold-pressed & crystallized orange) 1 pkg.=1 wedge, optional
1. In small bowl, mix flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Cut in cold cubed butter until resembles coarse crumbs.
2. In small bowl, combine 2 T. beaten egg and buttermilk. ( set aside left over beaten egg for wash)
3. Add to dry ingredients, mix until moistened, add dried cranberries and orange zest. Sprinkle 1 pkg. true orange over dough, if using.
4. Turn onto a floured surface, knead gently 6-8 times, knead in a small amount of flour if needed. Pat into a 6 inch circle. Cut into 4 wedges.
5. Separate. Place on a cooking sheet lined with parchment paper.
6. Brush with remaining egg, sprinkle with sugar.
7. Bake at 425 for 12-15 mins.
Note: This recipe can easily be doubled with great results
dried cherries, orange, scones