On the Menu Today~
*24 Days of Christmas Candy*
- 3 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1 1/4 cups water, divided
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- red and green food coloring
- additional sugar
- In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup water, let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, bring sugar and remaining water to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Add gelatin, reduce heat, simmer stirring constantly for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in extract. Divide mixture into two small bowls, add four drops green food coloring to one bowl and four drops red food coloring to the other.
- Pour into two greased 8 x 4 loaf pans. Chill 3 hours or until firm. Loosen edges from the pan with a knife. Turn onto a sugared board, cut into 1/2 inch cubes, roll in sugar. Let stand at room temperature, uncovered, for 3 to 4 hours turning every hour so until all sides dry.
- Cover and chill.
Recipe and photo from:Taste of Home