On the Menu Today~
Lemon Meringue Pie~
When I think of my Grandma..
I always think of Lemon Meringue Pie~
My Grandma made my Grandpa a lemon meringue pie
at least twice a month throughout their marriage.
This is her recipe and it's a keeper~
Lemon Meringue Pie
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 4 tablespoons (heaping) cornstarch
- juice from 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 3 egg yolks (save whites for meringue topping)
- 1 tablespoon (heaping) butter
- 1 (14.1 oz) package refrigerated ready pie crust (use one pie crust)
- Stir together sugar and cornstarch in a medium saucepan.
- Add rest of ingredients. Stir
- Place pan on top of a double boiler or over a large pan of simmering water.
- Cook until thick, stirring constantly.
- This can take anywhere from 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in 1 tablespoon butter.
- Remove pan from simmering water. Let cool.
- Make crust according to package directions for one-crust pie.
- 3 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Beat egg whites with salt and cream of tartar until foamy. Continue beating until soft peaks form. Add 1 tablespoon of sugar at a time, beating well after each addition, beat whites until stiff peaks form.
- Spread egg whites on filling, spread filling to the edges to seal.
- Broil under broiler until whites are golden brown. Watching constantly.