Espresso Cream Scones with Coffee Icing
A touch of pumpkin pie spice allows the coffee flavor
to really shine through in these lovely scones.
Espresso Cream Scones
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup butter, cold and cubed
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup brewed espresso or coffee, cooled
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 425º Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice. Cut in cold, cubed butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add mini chocolate chips to butter/flour mixture.
- In a small bowl combine, beaten egg, cream and cooled espresso, add to flour mixture, stir until soft dough forms. Transfer to a floured surface. Knead 8 to 10 times. Pat into a 10 inch circle. Cut into 10 wedges. Transfer to parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 425º for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack.
Scones, Icing, Espresso