Apple Oatmeal Scones with Caramel Icing~
Apple Scones with Caramel Glaze
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1/4 cup butter, cold and cubed
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup apple, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In large bowl combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and apple pie spice. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In small bowl combine applesauce, milk, and apple juice. Add milk mixture to flour mixture. Stir together. Fold in diced apple.
- Turn dough onto well floured surface. Knead 5 to 10 times. Pat dough onto a 10 inch circle. Cut dough into 10 wedges. Place wedges on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake scones for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from baking sheet. Cool on wire rack. Drizzle with Caramel Glaze.
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 to 4 tablespoons milk
- Melt butter, brown sugar and corn syrup over medium low heat.
- Heat until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Add powdered sugar. Whisk in enough milk to make a smooth glaze.
- Pour glaze over scones.